Monday, October 31, 2011

How YOU can help US!!

I know it's impossible to understand bonding with an adoptive child (esp an older child) unless you have literally walked through it. I also know that EVERY adoption looks so very different so even the needs of our family may look entirely different than the needs of another. I am writing this as a Momma Bear protecting my family through clinched teeth. My intent in NO way is to offend... but I am also not concerned about offense taken because I have every right to defend my family in a loving way. So here is what we NEED on this journey!!
Please....
DO NOT...
1. Pick up Joleigh
2. Mother Joleigh
3. Offer Joleigh treats
4. Feed Joleigh


PLEASE...
1. Let us be the Wallace family and not the family who adopted Joleigh
2. Treat Joleigh like you do our other children ... I wish I could describe the damage that is being done to my 3 year old unintentionally by family and friends who time after time shower Joleigh with comments, attention, etc and neglect her sister. Oh she may not look like she's paying attention but she notices EVERYthing you say about her sister and not about her.
3. Try to even ignore Jo is here right now!!!!! I know this sounds horrible but oh if you knew how much it would help us. This is the biggy and I KNOW it's virtually impossible for people but guys when Joleigh receives special treatment and attention from you, she is pulling away from ME!!!!! Let me retype that for you! When Joleigh receives special treatment from YOU she is pulling away from ME!!! It's called mommy shopping. She literally becomes a different kid towards me when someone has dolled all over her. Oh and I can't tell you how hard it is to bond with someone who would rather be with someone else... anyone else that will show her special attention.
Thank you to my KCA co-op family for being so great with this!!!! You guys have really made Thursdays an enjoyable day and I appreciate you helping me in this area!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please be in prayer for our family. Pray for bonding. We are SO very thankful God has called Joleigh into our family. Oh she is a joy!!! An absolutely JOY!!! She needs to feel that love and attention only from us right now. That will, in time, encompass family and friends but right now it has to be only us!!!

4 comments:

Paige said...

I totally understand this! Kaylee's first foster mom that she lived with for almost a year wanted to continue a relationship with her. I struggled with it but agreed at first. Then I noticed changes when Kaylee would come home. She would be defiant and just overall confused. I realized what it was and have stopped all communication with them. It has been hard and the former foster mom is very upset with me but like you said, it's a momma bear thing and this is MY family I have to protect! Love you girl and praying for you!

Rochelle said...

Totally understand this too. We are working on the very same things with Dariya. Sometimes I think she looks at me like, "hey lady isn't your shift here at the orphanage finished YET?" LOL!

Christina said...

Praying for you Jenny.

Little Oak Table said...

Jenny, I'll be in prayer for this for you guys. It makes so much sense all that you have shared!! So many aspects I never knew or thought of-thanks for sharing! God is definitely giving you a spirit of discernment and that is awesome!