Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our responsibility...

This week has been FULL but good. God has blessed me SO much! Who knew that sending little ole me to Rwanda Africa 7 years ago would eventually enable me to touch so many. God has given me such a platform to give students an opportunity to GROW. Sometimes school can be SO much about academics but fail to teach the "child". This week I've been able to share with some 5th graders the story of the Invisible Children. Who are the Invisible Children you ask... They're kids in Uganda that are being kidnapped and FORCED to fight in a war that is destroying their country. They are forced to walk miles every night to try to avoid being kidnapped and sleep away from their families in guarded abandoned buildings. EVERY night!! What if they have a bellyache or their throat hurts... EVERY night! It's their life. Seeing video footage of them sleeping on the floor, practically on top of each other makes me feel as if I'm looking at animals. Honestly, it's easier to think of them as that. It makes us as Americans more comfortable viewing them as animals instead of as EQUAL... God's children. Another thing I sometimes have a hard time grasping is that their Mommies love them just like I LOVE Andrew, Parker and Piper. I tell my students that they are JUST like us! They were just born in Uganda. They have NO voice. Well, my 5th graders have really been inspired. I haven't been able to speak to them all but I've heard over the last couple of days that they're becoming little activist! They have all sorts of ideas brewing! It blesses my soul! They GET it!! I spoke to some grad students at UCA tonight and encouraged them to GIVE students an opportunity to GROW.
I believe strongly that God has blessed us so that we will bless others! I will never forget walking over the threshold of the Genocide memorial in Rwanda, knowing that I would be changed forever viewing those lifeless bodies, those babies who never had a chance at life. Thank you God for letting me see my responsibility to Your children who are in need. Lord, protect the children of Uganda.


No comments: