Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's not been easy

This has been the most stretching year for me as a believer. Well, probably the last 2 years have been the most eye opening. God has broken my heart for what breaks His and I wish I could say it's been easy to follow Him there but it has not. Satan has continually attacked all along the way. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. God has literally opened my eyes so much to the things that are really important. Please know that I am saying He has opened my eyes and that I am taking steps to follow but it is a process and I am in no way THERE. I'm getting there, but I have far to go. For those of you who feel I've offended you in anyway by sharing what He has laid on my heart for the needy of the world, I am sorry you were offended. My prayer is to be used by Him to cause you to question what you do to further His kingdom and care for His children. It is not meant to judge you. BUT I will state this boldly because I strongly believe it is the truth... His children are not the responsibility of the "called" they are the responsibility of all who claim to be His children. God calls us over and over in scripture to care for the poor, the widow and the orphan. My writings are not that you will grow bitter b/c you feel I'm questioning how you're spending your money but that you will examine how you're spending it. Is it being used to care for His? Could you nit pick my life and question my spending? Of course... but we are searching for ways to become more and more obedient to His calling. Yes, we take lots of trips to Branson (you should've seen the last roach hotel we stayed in there;0), yes, I have lots of technology gadgets, we are terribly frugal in all of them but honestly I'm not going to be legalistic here because I think if we are truly searching His heart and asking Him to use us He will let us know what our lives are to look like. Can you ever go to Starbucks again and splurge on a latte? Sure. My challenge to you though is to seriously look at your finances over the past 6 months and see if they are centered around you or around Him? He will help you center them around Him if you desire to follow Him. That is where we are right now and I love it! We have a lot of unknowns in our near future, but what we do know is that we want to live sold out for Him and we want our lives to be a testimony of His heart for all people. I'll be honest this type of lifestyle feels downright lonely at times. It's unpopular. Not welcomed by many.... BUT there are those few who get it and God has used them to bless me over and over and over.
I urge you to read Radical, The Hole in Our Gospel or Crazy Love and allow Him to use you in ways you never dreamed you would've considered.
Here's a video that shares a little about the book Radical.

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

I love reading your blog. You have so much insight and lead me to be closer to God. I am constantly telling myself to slow down and listen to Him. I am also looking at possibly going to Africa next summer to work with an organization that focuses on helping teachers teach since a lot of them have had so little training and their schools have even fewer resources. We will just see what God has in store. I think and pray for your family constantly. I can't wait until you have Joleigh home with you.

Jenny said...

Thank you Lorrie:) I was SOOO happy to see your face today and to see ALL those cans... crushed CANS!

Lorrie, you would be INCREDIBLE teaching in Africa. Heck, you'd be incredible teaching in a dumpster, when you're good... you're good and YOU are GREAT!
Love you dear friend!

Rochelle said...

Great post Jen. Maybe if anyone has hurt feelings it is because God is working on their hearts through your words =) Keep on keeping on sister.

Little Oak Table said...

great post sista!

Phoebe said...

Continue to share. I'm with you - God didn't call us to appease but to obey. If others are offended, it's not because of what you said but rather because of what they are or aren't doing. It truly does feel like a lonely road sometimes, but I know it will all be worth it. Hang in there.