Thursday, July 29, 2010

Old Navy is destroying the American family...

So this morning I decided to run to town with the kiddos in tow. Crazy, nah we do it all the time BUT I usually don't make so many stops. We went to Bath and Body and bought 7 soaps for $20.00. Then we went to Old Navy and bought 4 camisoles for $2.00 each. On to the Children's Place where we bought 2 pair of jeans for $10 each, 3 fisherman hats for $.99 each and I had $10 free there. Last stop Chik-fil-a. I bought 17 nuggets total and a regular fry for us to split, oh and a lemonade for me;) for about $10.50.
So, everything went fine at Bath and Body, the kids picked out some soaps they liked. They each got to carry their soap to the car. They were excited. Next stop Old Navy... they get us EVERYtime! I'm picking out my $2 camisoles and Piper is lusting after a shiny pink ball, with a light in it. I try to explain to her that $5 is ridiculous for this shiny ball... I mean look Piper at these cute camisole shirts for ONLY 2 bucks and they're trying to sucker you into that BALL.... don't do it girl. Put it down. Then come the screams of our sweet, precious, adorable, Jesus loving 2 year old (or as John Rosemond would call her.. little criminal;)... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I WANT THE BALL!!!!! Finally I got her to stop crying and we get to the register where Old Navy has placed some more pink, shiny, light up balls and the drama continued. So here's how Old Navy is corrupting our homes. I wasn't ABOUT to pay $5 for that pink ball. Most parents would agree and say no like I did but a LOT of parents would've shut her up by just obliging to get that pink, shiny, light up ball. no, No, NO parents!!! Just like I told Piper, they're trying to sucker you into letting your child have what they want. It's not good. Not good for you, not good for your pocket book and most importantly NOT good for your child! Please be consistent and DO WHAT YOU SAY! If you say no, stick with it. There was NO way I was giving into that little monster scream. Just think about it, you're saying "No, but if you scream really loud and throw a crazy fit then we can get it just so you won't embarrass mommy". It's GREAT for your child to hear NO and hear it often. They need to know that the world does not revolve around them.
Okay... I'm finished... well almost.
Dear Old Navy, please know that parents are smarter than that. You are not a ball distributor. You sell clothes! Don't try to undermine parents by letting our children sucker us into buying junk that's going to get played with for 2 minutes. Oh and thanks for the $2 camisoles. They're great:)

7 comments:

Phoebe said...

i don't think this is exclusive to Old Navy. I deal with it every time I go just about anywere. The check-out lanes are horrible and my little gumbies like to stretch their arms to reach anything and everything they can. It's horrid and I hate it. That and the fact they place inappropriate magazines there as well.

Rochelle said...

Good for you mom! They all need to hear no! Aidan is SURE he is the only kid in the world that doesn't get stuff. LOL

Lindsay said...

I've heard that our kids will only learn to tell the world NO (to bad stuff like drugs and s&% and all that) if they have heard the word NO.

I make sure Rodney hears it often ;).

And I don't say it unless I mean it!

Shame on you, Old Navy. LOL

Lindsay said...

By S&%, I meant S - E - X. But it looks like a bad word! I did not mean for it to look like a bad word.

I am a d&f%s. By that, I meant dufus.

I'm laughing and hoping I don't regret this round of commenting tomorrow a.m.!!!

Jenny said...

haha!!! Lindsay, you crack me UP:)

Paige said...

You getting the biggest, loudest AMEN I can type. Preach on, Sista! I could get on that same soap box about taking your kids to the nursery to play in the middle of church after they throw a big enough fit. Come on! Gimme a break! Ok, I'll quit now, but it's your fault for stirring the pot. (o:

Shauna said...

Totally agree! The need of our society to "upsell" is disheartening. Always about "wanting" more and more. One good reason for self-control and how we can model and teach that to our kids. It is one of the fruits of the Spirit and we are faced with many opportunities for it to mature and ripen within us. Thanks for sharing!