Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Axe the cable..

The kids and I have had a great summer thus far:) A little over a year ago we axed cable at the Wallace house. One of the best things we've ever done!! We weren't huge tv watchers but it always seemed to just be on. I hated that. I didn't want the kids to constantly be entertained by the tv. We now have a handy dandy converter box and get about 7 channels and love it! It makes us not near as tempted to turn it on b/c honestly there's never anything on. Best part... it's FREE:). One of our favorite channels is THV2. It's all behind the scenes during the weekly news. We love it! Anytime someone goofs up, they make fun and crack up at themselves during the commercial break. I know, we have no life... but really it is quite entertaining! AND just the other night Craig O'Neal gave ME a shout out on THV2. WHAT? I was turning off the lights in the living room and Cameron said, "Jenny, are you watching THV2? Craig O'Neal was just talking about you" haha! It was a hoot!
So, what do we do? Well, here's what today looked like... wake up @ 8:30 (I know, what a blessing that they sleep in:). Grab a quick breakfast and then head out front to find some bugs. There's always PLENTY of bugs to study in the front yard and we do it everyday! No kidding!! Sometimes we spend a couple of hours out there but this morning it was more like an hour and then we went to the backyard for some pool time and then some backyard fun. We try to go swimming around 9:30-11:00ish so the sun is not directly on us in the pool. Yes, that's why I have the WHITEST legs in Faulkner Co. They NEVER see the sun;0) but hey, that's okay, that's how HE made me.

We then headed in the house for some home cooking. 2 cans of Ravioli;0) with a touch of shredded cheese. The boys then played in the playroom while Piper and I read a couple of books. Right now Piper is sleeping and the boys are drawing and coloring pictures. I'm blogging from the back porch next to the butterfly garden. my FAVORITE place "in" the house:)

This summer has been really pleasant. I can count on one (okay maybe two) hands how many times I've lost my cool with the kids. That's good for me, b/c I kinda have a habit of losing my patience. I've written character traits and posted them above our door that I want to affirm in my kids. I'm really trying to get out of the habit of getting onto them and getting in the habit of teaching them. I want to teach them how to be and not just tell them how not to be. I've gathered some names of some elderly folks in our neighborhood and I'm going to try to start having a weekly/monthly meal time that we have them over, take them food, etc. I have such a desire to teach my kids about empathy, compassion, giving and figure the best way to teach it is to have them involved in it.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Sounds like a fabulous summer, who doesn't love bugs, swimming, butterflies and family time. Love your family SO much! You are so inspiring.
Do you have any openings for your summer camp, I know Aidan & Alayna would love it =)

Jenny said...

Oh goodness Rochelle.. I can't tell you how much we'd LOVE for Aidan and Alayna to come to our camp:)