Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I'm totally inspired...

I am so encouraged and inspired by a brave, young lady at GHS named Brittany S.

**Rewind 2 years ago~ I wanted to do something at the Jr. High to bring the world to my students so I decided to introduce the Invisible Children to them. The Invisible Children is an organization that began to help bring awareness to the children of Uganda who have been taken as child soldiers. I was personally drawn to this cause because I have a great passion for the children of Africa. I had the opportunity to teach in Rwanda several years ago and it totally changed my life. I was able to visit a memorial site for the genocide of '94. There were 10's of thousands of bodies displayed on tables. They had been preserved so that their bodies kept the same expressions as they had when they died. You could see their hands clinched and their toes curled. I remember walking over that doorway and knowing my life would be different.



I wanted my students to have that same kind of life changing opportunity even if they aren't able to visit Africa. I wanted them to experience what people go through a world away and be challenged to make a difference. One of my students, whom I adore, is sweet Kara Grace S.. She was so excited about the Invisible Children and shared her enthusiasm with her family. Two of her younger siblings even learned a great lesson about giving which was so sweet to see:) Kara Grace also sparked an interest in her older sister, Brittany.**

Back to present day.... Brittany planned a movie night, along with some of her friends and a sponsor, at the high school. She asked me to come and introduce the movie. She was so nervous and worked sooo hard to put everything together perfectly. I was so encouraged by her passion. She allowed God to use her to introduce the Invisible Children to many of her friends and peers. I'm not sure if she or Kara Grace realize just how big of a role they are playing in CHANGING THE WORLD!! I'm soooo proud of them and so thankful I've had the opportunity to know these girls!

Also... you should watch this video by Sara Groves about her trip to Rwanda a couple of years ago...

1 comment:

Krista said...

The Suitt girls are sweet. We used to go to church with them. It is a blessing to see teenagers embracing a cause "outside of themselves." And I am sure you played a big part in helping them to do so!

One of my favorite movies is Hotel Rwanda. I am not into action/intense movies, but that one was so lifechanging to see for me.