Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Consequences and Secret Millionaires

Some days I feel I'm saying, "Stop Andrew/Parker".. all day. They really are pretty good kids but sometimes choose to deliberately disobey. Cam and I are brainstorming consequences for them. We're big fans of John Rosemond and his deal is that you need to make consequences memorable. I've heard several of his examples for older kids (door off the hinges, early bed time, etc) but what type of consequences are memorable for a 5 year old? I'm really wanting to teach them to obey the first time and to not continually get onto them for the same thing. Anyone have any good consequences that are memorable that have worked for you and your family? and yes, we do spank when we need to but we're also looking for other ideas.

A new show called Secret Millionaire came on tonight on Fox. Ugghhh... it is SO good!! I love this kind of show. It's all about millionaires living a week in poverty. I just LOVE it!! The millionaires then choose some people they would like to give $100,000 to. It was so neat to see their eyes open to how different their lives are. You MUST watch it next time it's on....

Parker funnies:
The other night I was cutting up some meat and sliced my finger open badly (I even made a trip to the ER). While I was running water over it, Parker came up and started to cry and said, "mommy, I thought grown ups knew how to use knives". How cute! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi... came across your blog from a comment you left at "wherever life takes us." my wife and i work at a children's home, and since we are not allowed to spank, we're often faced with the same dilemma when it comes to consequences. we've done time-outs, taken away snacks or privileges, given early bedtimes (although since kids that young have a relatively early bedtime anyway, that can get a bit ridiculous), but mainly the consequence has to be related to the infraction for optimal results. and of course, natural consequences are most effective... if they tear up a toy on purpose, the loss of that toy is often a pretty harsh reminder that they messed up ("no, we aren't going to wal mart and buying another one just like it." and we also won't let them play with a similar toy that belongs to another kid in the cottage, even if that kid offers). sometimes writing sentences (if they're writing yet of course!) will help drive home a point, too.