Saturday, June 20, 2009

Once a Red Devil, always a Red Devil!

I REALLY miss my students at Jacksonville! Jacksonville High, home of the Red Devils, was my first teaching job. I'll never forget that interview.. my mom rode down there with me and she said, "maybe you'll get a different school;)" I said, "nope, this is where I'm suppose to BE!" I knew it immediately.
Today I had the privilege of attending Lamar's wedding. Lamar is definitely the student who has made the most impact on me as a teacher. He was at-risk. He was not motivated to succeed at all and I was DETERMINED to change him! He really was like a son to me. Even after he graduated, he called all the time to let me know how he was... and then we moved. He didn't have our new number and I didn't have his. I have wondered about him constantly over the past several years.... a few months ago he found my number! I wept our whole conversation. We've kept in touch often since. He called me on Mother's day... He called me this morning to tell me how nervous he was about the wedding... He helped me find a couple other students!! Tonight as we were eating at restaurant in J-ville... I cried and cried thinking about my students there and how I longed to be back! I miss them SO much. To them I will always be Ms. Glover, they know I got married but I'm still Ms. Glover. I'm sad that Jacksonville High doesn't have Ms. Glover... I know that sounds boastful but I literally poured myself into each of them and that's exactly what they needed. There may be someone like Ms. Glover, but I'm sad it's not me! I love the students I work with now but my draw to Jacksonville is the need! There is such a need for someone positive in their lives.
update** Lamar and Astra just called on the way to their honeymoon... thanking us for coming today to share their day! I wouldn't have missed it for the WORLD!


No comments: