Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This is good...

Some friends of mine are going through some trials right now. The man was actually arrested during a sex sting at a local park. This didn't involve kids at all, just a weakness this man has been struggling with for a while. This is a good man and a good family. Here's part of a note she wrote on facebook letting everyone know how she was doing. If this doesn't encourage you that there are people who "get it" that their sole purpose is to honor and glorify Him, I don't know what will....

To me marriage is one of the most beautiful covenants that God created. Many of you are wondering why I would continually forgive and stay. God is not showing me how ugly B’s sin is…He is showing me the ugliness of my sin. Sin destroys and grieves the Holy Spirit, but it is also been conquered and forgiven. Christ satisfied the wrath of God for my sin. It is like the servant in the parable of the unforgiving servant found in Matthew 18:21-35. The servant that owed 10,000 talents was forgiven and released from his debt…that same servant had a fellow servant who owed him only 100 denarii. The forgiven servant went to the fellow servant and began choking him saying “pay what you owe.” The master found out and said “I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had on you? And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.” Seventy times seven. I do not want be the unforgiving servant. God is showing me the lifetime of debt that I have been forgiven…to look at my husband...the one that I have been made one with…and choke him and saying “pay what you owe” would make me that servant. Many have said adultery is reason to get a divorce. Jesus said in Matthew 18:8 that is was because of the hardness of our hearts that Moses allowed divorce but from the beginning it was no so. That is not God’s intent for marriage. What God has joined together let no man put asunder! There is nothing that we can do to remove us from the work of Jesus Christ…we have been made one with Him. I want my marriage to glorify Christ! Please do not look at me and praise anything I am doing…all of this is a gift from God. Forgiveness, grace, mercy, truth, repentance…all are gifts from God.

B and I will be separated for awhile…it is not because I am mad at him and want him to suffer. It is the way that I can hold him to truth. And truth is that his sin will cause him to lose his family. He has to work at killing it and working through all the consequences…I cannot do it for him. I am his wife and will be for the rest of my life…I signed on for life B’s sin has not negated my responsibility as a wife…1 Peter 3:1 says wives be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives. Please continue to pray for him as God works in his heart. Please pray for me as I seek to obey God is this situation.

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Wow. I don't know that I could do that. I'll be praying for her family.

Leslie said...

Hi. We go to church together and I saw your blog on Anna's.
We are actually good friends with this couple as well. I was so inspired by what R had to say yesterday. I can't imagine having such a forgiving heart and being able to have such a Godly perspective!
Nice to find your blog!

Nic said...

This is a great story of forgiveness. I'm reading the book Sacred marriage and it talks about what if marriage is not meant to make us happy but to make us holy. God doesn't make us get married we CHOOSE to enter into that covenant with God and our spouse. I married a sinful person (just as I am) and it's my responsibility to love and honor Josh regardless. Ok, sorry for rambling on. Thanks for sharing!!