Friday, January 1, 2010

Just to be honest...

A lot of people wonder WHY Cameron and I are pursuing adoption. They think "you guys must've wanted a big family"... no, not really. To be honest, I've never really had a magic number in my head of how many kids I wanted. To be REALLY honest, I always assumed less would be better. We're not adopting because we are baby crazy and just can't wait to have another little bundle of joy to cuddle with.... none of these reasons are why we're choosing to adopt. It's kind of hard to explain. It kind of doesn't make a lot of sense. We already have three little ones. We're busy, busy. We're not financially wealthy. We do not have a huge house. So WHY then?? Personally I believe God has laid adoption on all of our hearts. I believe there are 147,000,000 orphans and 147,000,000 families to take care of them... they're just choosing not to. Cameron and I have always known God wanted us to adopt. Not because it was convenient, easy, fit our lifestyle BUT because these orphans are HIS. For some reason He chose to bless us with a home, with food, with a family, with parents, with SALVATION... which means being adopted into HIS family. Because of the love He has shown us, we feel we (CHRISTIANS) are called to show that love to the least of these. I personally feel adoption is something all Christians are to be involved in, whether it's bringing home one of His children into your home or helping others bring them home.
We are so excited about bringing Joleigh into our home. Mainly I'm excited that God pursued us with adoption and helped us obey. We could've just as easily given excuses but He continually pricked our hearts. I'm so thankful that He doesn't give up on us! I'm SO thankful that He knew how many children we were to have, instead of us "picking" a magical number.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I totally understand. I feel fairly confident (of course, only God knows) that we'll be following suit in a few years when the time is right. I don't know international or domestic, but somehow adoption has always been on my heart. And I agree, it's not just about wanting more babies.

Rochelle said...

So glad you are following God's will for your lives. Joleigh will be blessed to join the Wallace clan.

Hill Reflects said...

Well said. I think we had magic number when we got married but I like what you have said. God has the number and he'll let you know when he is done.