Friday, October 31, 2008

Good stuff...

I got this video from John Piper's blog and thought it was such a breath of fresh air about the upcoming election. I use to be the BIGGEST Republican! Seriously I've gone door knocking for my guy the past two elections. Over the past year or so I've really felt burdened about the divisiveness of politics and believe me this could only be a burden from God because I WAS totally wrapped up in politics. Let me first say, I'm totally against abortion... BUT I don't want to be ANTI-anyone because they belong to a certain party. Not that I will vote for someone that is for abortion but I really am turned off by those that slander someone whom they really don't know. I mean, seriously how in the world is God glorified through our spreading slanderous gossip or lies about someone. I can't stand to get those political emails that are based on half truths about EITHER candidate. I love how John Piper reminds us that this is not our home and we should not invest our whole selves into things of this world. I'm not against people rooting for their candidate or informing others about them but I am turned off by who I use to be in this area. I was totally invested as though if my guy didn't win the world was coming to an end.... this place is not my home and God is sovereign and I trust Him!

8 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

good stuff!

he has a great word!

The Uptons said...

good video...I too am very uneasy about how polarized this election is getting, I can't watch anything on the news about it at all! This has a very good message!

the Percifuls said...

"I mean, seriously how in the world is God glorified through our spreading slanderous gossip or lies about someone."

Amen! Thanks for this post, Jenny. Things have gotten so ugly this year, on both sides. Personally, I can't wait for the election to be over, so we can try to go back to "love your neighbor".

David said...

I agree with Piper (John, not Sissy, though Sissy probably has some good thoughts on the matter), though I think about it in a more cynical, fatalistic tone (big surprise!). Basically whoever is meant to be elected, will be. Whoever gets elected is going to do things I really disagree with. And through all of the pro-life presidents we have had, have we seen a decrease in access to abortion? Through all of the pro-abortion presidents, have we seen an increase in access to abortion? I'm not convinced that presidents have the ability to do really good things anymore (though they sure can get the nation into a fine mess). Mostly we just elect the one we think might screw up less.

I also wish I could find someone who is truly pro-life, and not just in the anti-abortion sense of the word. I am most certainly pro-life in that sense, but I am also against the death penalty, not opposed to gun control, and generally against most wars. Thus I find myself trying to decide if I want to to vote for a politician who will protect the lives of babies or or one who will protect the lives of adults.

Maybe Richard Pryor had it right in Brewster's Millions - vote for none of the above.

Jenny said...

Totally agree David!! I think abortion has always been the main issue but there are several other issues that are extremely important... I think dealing with the issues of poverty is also a Pro-Life stance that isn't usually added to the "pro-life" category...

and Yes.. I'm sure Piper (Sissy) has some good political thoughts she can't get them out yet:)

Phoebe said...

Just a thought: The difference in poverty and abortion is that babies don't have a say - they're not even given a chance.

I'm quite grateful that Piper put out such a video to truly remind us of what is important - valuing life, honoring that God is sovereign regardless of what happens, and that come what may, those whose trust Him will still be okay.

I'm with the majority - can't wait til this mess is over with! :)

the Fosters said...

Great video! Good message! Loved his last statement too about spreading the Gospel! Do I really spread the Gospel enough?

Did you see the recent episode on Oprah (not an avid Oprah watcher, but it was on at my mother-in-laws)showing the 99 balloons utube video? If you haven't seen it, you should google it! They were spreading the Gospel, it even affected Oprah!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, thank you for your words and for sharing the video and David, you are right on target.

During the last presidential election, I finally asked some friends and relatives, all Christians as am I, to stop sending the hate e-mails, the doomsday predictions and awful jokes about the candidates.

This time around, things have been more vicious than usual and most is aired on television for all the world to see.

We spend much money and people sacrifice their lives in a desire to share Christianity with all people. However, it seems the efforts are undercut when "the world" witnesses obvious lies and hate spewing from the mouths of angry believers.

All of us who proclaim that we follow Christ, need to examine our words and actions in light of what God would approve and the effects on others.