Monday, February 9, 2009

Tighten our belts..

I've been reading my cousins wife's blog... and she's really got me thinking. I've been wanting to cut back a lot on our spending but have been lazy with it. I think because we don't really live paycheck to paycheck right now that it's easy to get lazy with our finances. Cameron and I do really well in the area of shopping, we rarely go and rarely, rarely spend money on clothes, etc. I'm as cheap as they get... ask my cousin. Anywho.. reading Niki's blog made me want to evaluate our spending and get a good look at how much we waste on eating out and such. I'm only admitting to all of this on the Internet because I think it's the best way for me to be accountable for the waste. I created a spreadsheet with the amount of money we spent last month eating out and it was astronomical. Sure, there was a week that Cam didn't have his regular paninis/lunch meat for lunch b/c we didn't make it to the grocery store so he had to (sarcasm added) eat out at Chik-fila way too many times. I'm not innocent either because I went to a baby shower at Mike's Place and racked up a $15.00 bill that we normally wouldn't have:(. The total for the month was right at $300.00. WHAT??? Eating out... $300.00. Our grocery bill for the month was $450.00 but it was probably less than that if you deduct other things we may have purchased on the trip to Wal-Mart. We're going to be very conscientious this month and cut back a lot!! We've decided it's okay if we go out for lunch once a week but we better be taking a can of Sprite and asking for a cup of ice:). 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You're already way ahead of a lot of couples by actually KNOWING how much you've spent!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phoebe said...

We're Dave Ramsey addicts. Not sure if you've heard of him, but he's really good. We do a monthly budget and it has saved us a lot of money. We generally will spend about $250/mo. on groceries (combined with doing competitor ads and coupons) and around $30-$50 eating out. Supplies are in a different category for us so they don't get mixed in with grocery costs. We'll spend around $75/mo. on supplies (TP, shampoo, diapers, etc).

Hope all goes well.

the Fosters said...

This is wonderful news! Let me know how it goes! We try to only eat out no more than 2x during the week. It really can add up! I am not even going to tell you are grocery bill each month. You would have a stroke. We try to eat healthy, but healthy food is expensive. Let me know if you find any tricks.