Friday, February 6, 2009

What say you?

Since we were adding onto the house, we had to take down our dish network. I called them to see if they would come out and move our satellite to another part of the house. They said they would BUT it would cost us $100! WHAT? We've had service with them for years!! I told them never mind we would call DirectTV and they would come install service for us for free. They then told me they could do it for $50. Finally, they told us they could do it for free but then I was already mad. So, we decided to cancel anyway. Now we're contemplating not getting satellite at all for a while. We seriously have not had the t.v. on hardly at all for over a week. The boys have done great with it. Cam and I enjoy it, however, we do so desperately miss DVR. We LOVE to rewind when the news anchors have blunders... seriously... we LOVE that! It's like we watch the news to see if they're looking at the wrong camera or the picture doesn't match the story:).. makes me giggle just thinking about it:). 
So, do you have satellite? We'll be saving over $50.00 a month by not partaking of this luxury. Also, do you cut your grocery bill in half by using the Kroger/Walgreen coupon stuff? I use coupons but I don't spend a lot of time with this and know I could do much better but how much time is involved? I mean, I guess that free time I'll have from not rewinding the news anchor blunders could be used organizing coupons/grocery list... just doesn't sound near as fun as laughing at blunders:(

3 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

ooooh i know they did not go and make mama mad.

what a bunch of ding dongs.

we have never had cable. we just hooked up our connverter box thingy and the picture is PERFECT. and it is so FREE i don't even want to talk about it!

Anonymous said...

Using coupons does take some time, but for us it's worth it. Is Andrew old enough to clip the coupons for you? Then you could just file them. Money Saving Mom tells you which ones to use on what, so you just look through and make sure the sales she mentions are good for your area (the Walgreens ones pretty much always will be, but the Kroger ones vary a little), and see if you have those coupons.

I would definitely recommend doing the Walgreens EasySaver rebate program. This is a good month to start, as there are several free things this month. And if you have coupons for those things, you MAKE money, because you still get the full rebate. You can submit your rebate online now so it's super easy.

I don't really know if we cut our grocery bill in half or not because I've always shopped with sales/coupons. Last year we averaged $53/week. (We hardly ever eat out and David takes his lunch to work, so that's pretty much ALL our food. That does NOT include toiletries, cleaning products, etc.) We could spend less than that if we wanted to, but I try to buy plenty of fresh fruit and veggies and fix healthy meals and snacks. For us, that amount is a good balance between health and frugality.

Me You And Boo said...

I'm so bad with coupons. I find some that are nearly a year old, that I kept, but never used. What is the walgreen thing??