Saturday, March 15, 2008

so thankful....

I love my job and I'm so thankful that God has given me the opportunity to be a part of my students' lives. I care so much about them, probably to a fault. I had a new kid enroll in my class about a week ago so I could help him catch up on work and pull up his grades. When I get a new kid I always ask them several questions to get to know them. I asked who he lived with and he said his cousin. I asked why he didn't live his parents and he said his father just died a few months ago of cancer. My heart just sank for him. From my observations I could tell he moved around a lot, probably living in poverty and had no direction in life. There seems to be no one in his life for him to look to for guidance. I only had him for a little over a week and he only attended school twice in that week. Toward the end of the week, he came by my room to have me sign his withdrawal papers. I was so sad. He was moving again. I told him as I signed his forms that he may think I'm silly but that I was truly going to be praying for him and that I prayed that he would find purpose and be able to see the importance of school for his future. I'm so thankful to God for the opportunity to meet this young man and I'm so thankful for the burden God has given me for him.

1 comment:

Little Oak Table said...

what a story, that is so heartbreaking. i know you are the best teacher!