Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Changes with age...

When the boys were little we use to read books and rock them in the rocking chair then put them in their crib. As they grew, I would sit on their toddler bed and read them a book and sing to them. They're so grown up now:(. They're both sleeping in the bunk beds. Since they've been sharing a room we've had trouble with them chit-chatting for hours and not getting to sleep until almost 11:00 some nights. I knew that would have to change since Andrew will be starting Kindergarten soon. For nearly two weeks, I've started a new night time tradition. Daddy reads them a book and then mommy comes in with sleepy time oil:). It's just some lavender massage oil from Bath and Body. They love it!! I then have my quiet time while they go to sleep. I let them each pick a song for me to sing (Parker always chooses Dear Mr. Jesus:) and then I tell them I'm going to talk to Jesus and read my Bible. I pray and read aloud. We've been reading Luke for the past week. The boys really enjoy it and they're super quiet. It's a wonderful time for me to spend time in the word, which is hard to find sometimes during the day, and hopefully plant some seeds for the boys.

7 comments:

the Fosters said...

You are such a sweet mommy! What a godly woman and mother you are. I am sure the boys will appreciate you one day and you will see their fruits.

Hill Reflects said...

That is great idea. Wonderful seeds are being planted. I imagine this helps them sleep right away. Also, they say we dream about whatever the last thing we did. I bet they having excellent dreams.

Becke' said...

Sounds like a sweet idea! I love it!

Little Oak Table said...

Love the updates and pictures. You all looked so nice in your wedding clothes. Your photography is really looking good. Of course, you have really cute subjects! I'm glad to hear you made it back safe and had such a good time!

made2mama said...

I'm at the read a book, rock her to sleep, and then to her crib stage. You mean rocking her to sleep will come to an end;( I bet that is a sweet time to unwind in the Word with your boys;)

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Do they fall asleep sooner? I am just starting to have them share a room...I'm open for suggestions!

Jenny said...

Yes, Amanda... they are asleep MUCH sooner!! If I wasn't in there they would be talking/giggling for about two hours.