Sunday, August 24, 2008

I love FREECYCLE, but...

So I've been using Freecycle a lot lately, thanks to Anna. It's such an awesome way to get rid of things without throwing them away or storing them for a yard sale. Just this month I've given away baby clothes, a toddler bed, a kiddie pool, and a dresser. I've received from other freecyclers a kindergarten mat, boy clothes and some kid's books. Tonight while I was cleaning out Parker's dresser I decided to give away a lot of clothes that were too small or on the verge of too small. It was so sad. I slowly looked at each piece and could remember a day that he wore them. I especially got sentimental over the pajamas. Parker does this nightly routine where he stands behind the couch and says, "WHO AM I?" and I have to guess who he is. Sometimes he'll give me clues. Tonight he said, "Who am I? I'll give you a clue... vroom vroom". Of course he was dressed up as Lightening McQueen:). It was so hard to bag up all of those sweet clothes but I got really excited about some little boy getting to see all of his new PJs. I put them on freecycle and waited for a reply. Sure enough, just a few minutes after they posted I get a reply. I give them directions and they come pick them up. While we were giving them the bags of clothing Cameron said, "so you guys have a little boy?" The lady said, "No, we have girls but figured we could still use some of them". I was DEVASTATED!! Little girls won't be excited about a Superman PJ that even had the CAPE! Ugghhhhh... next time I'm screening. I'm suspicious that they just want them to resell which I guess is okay. The point of freecycle is to not contribute to the tons of trash we have here in America BUT come on, at least have a boy if you're getting fun little boy clothes. Maybe I shouldn't pack a little piece of my heart into each Wal-Mart bag I give away:). Maybe the real reason I'm sad is because Parker will never wear his Elmo pajamas again:(. 

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

Wow. I'd be upset too! It just seems wrong to get something that you know you won't really use. I mean, what girl wears Batman pj's?? It's just sad. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

yeah for you decluttering! love, anna