Saturday, May 31, 2008

They sure were opposite

My Grandpa Glover passed away on Thursday. He would be 96 years old this October. I remember when I was younger being in grade school and my cousins and I would always talk about the day our grandparents were no longer here. Although I only had 18 kids in my entire class, two of them were my cousins. We were always worried we would get bad news at school that something had happened to Grandma or Grandpa. I know that sounds strange but the Glover family really was a close family and a large family. My Grandmother had 10 kids. She was an amazing woman, she passed away a few years ago. She was itty-bitty, too:). I remember telling her not too many years ago that I thought she was the cutest little old lady I had ever seen and she said, "I bet when you get to be my age, you'll be the cutest little old lady, too". My Grandpa was a rugged old man. He lost his father at a young age and from what I've been told, he didn't have a nurturing mother. He had a short temper and showed it often. While my Grandmother had a sweet, submissive, servant's heart, my Grandfather had a hardworking spirit. He would lose his temper a lot with my Grandma over silly things and she would always just quietly say, "Now, Herman" with a sweet smile on her face. I'm sure there were rare, rare moments when she would get frustrated but I never saw them. And although Grandpa would lose his cool often, he had such a fun personality. Always saying silly things to get a laugh. Growing up I knew my Grandpa was not a christian and he didn't really care much about the church. Since my Grandma didn't drive (who had time with 10 kids), he would drive her to church and sit in the parking lot waiting on her to take her home. That seems stubborn and hard headed but to me it shows how much he really did love my Grandma. A year ago, my Grandpa wanted to go to church. It was very unexpected. He supposedly gave his heart to Christ. I say supposedly because who really knows someone else's heart. I'm not sure that there has been a change in him over this past year, but my hope is that he is reunited with my Grandmother now. She soooo longed for him to come to know her Savior. We talked about it often. I would share prayer request with her about people I loved who were not saved. She would always assure me she would be praying for them and always requested I pray for her husband. I loved them both very dearly and hope to see them again someday. I am especially thankful to God for giving me my Grandmother. She is the person I look up to the most.

2 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

that is a very sweet tribute to your grandparents. i am very sorry to hear about your grandpa passing away. love ya girl.

The Uptons said...

okay, are you sure we aren't kin? first this post sounds like my grandparents to the hilt...stubborn grandpa who is endeared by his hornery ways and sweet christian grandma who I want to be just like someday. second, i read the next entry and am wondering if you weren't taking those pics in my grandparents house?! paneling and all, it took me back! very sweet post...i guess all us folks from that guy/greenbrier area are closer than we realize!