Friday, June 20, 2008

Vaccination drama...

Piper went in today for her check up and shots. She's 7 1/2 weeks and weighs 12 lbs and 3 oz and was 22.5 inches.
As a special education teacher, I've really been introduced to a lot of questionable things dealing with vaccines/autism. I've had one student who immediately quit talking after getting his MMR shot when he was 2 and didn't speak again until 5. I've read for hours and hours different information regarding vaccinations and really don't have a peace about them being 100% safe. I decided with Piper that I would delay some of her vaccinations and spread them out so she's not getting so many at once. I knew I would face some grief over it but I am shocked by how much. It began on the day she was born. I did not sign the waiver for her to get her Hep B vac at the hospital. I told them I didn't want her vaccinated for Hep B at day one (since the only reason I've ever been vaccinated for it was because I traveled to Africa). Anyway, the nurse didn't bother to look and see if I signed the form or not and gave her the vac anyway. Then I hear her say, "where is that consent for the Hep B vac so I can sign off?" I said, "I didn't give consent", she says, "Oh, sorry about that". Uggh!!! Well today I tell the doctor that I didn't want her to get all 8 vaccinations today (imagine that). She got very upset with me and said, "well that's not going to make us happy at all". I told her that I didn't have a peace about it and it's something that I've researched for a long, long time (seriously around 2 years, because it was when Parker was about 18 months). She told me that it was proven over and over that vaccines do not cause learning disabilities or autism and I need to be careful about what I read. She was sooo defensive, I literally got teary eyed. She practically didn't give me an option to skip any or space any out. I knew she was very, very upset about it and pretty much griped at me for 1/2 an hour about it. I really almost gave in because I felt so uncomfortable. She kept telling me all of these horror stories of life before vaccines and asked if I wanted my kid to get meningitis? I said, "no, but I feel the same way about them getting autism." It was odd because it's not like I went in there bashing vaccines. I just wanted to get some today and some in a few weeks, which is what I plan to do. Piper got 3 vaccines today and will get the others in a few weeks. Poor Piper, she has been inconsolable all evening and her leg is swollen and red:(. The boys didn't have any real problems with their vaccines but she is in the worst pain. She screams and screams until finally she falls to sleep and wakes up screaming again every 10-15 minutes:(.
Sorry for the long vent about vaccines, I'm just so frustrated about the whole ordeal.

8 comments:

7TimeChampion said...

girl, i dread our appt in a few weeks. was today your 2mon? why did you go in today? and 12lbs that is awesome!!!!

my friend in texas is against vaccines now, her 3 yr old has had problems after it-she has to do something with him called brushing. what is that, do you know? (this is anna by the way, my computer is logged in under shane and i'm too lazy/tired to redo it!!)

the Percifuls said...

I am so sorry for you & Piper. I hope Piper is feeling better today. And I hope that your doctor becomes more understanding. I think that as moms, we really need to do what we feel is right. I mean, they are our children. Others should respect that, not try to guilt-trip us into doing things their way. I respect you for sticking to your conviction. You're quite a gal.

The Uptons said...

Good for your for informing yourself. There really is no great research out there (it is just hard to get on children, and for all the variables involved), and personally I don't think vaccines cause these things, but can worsen symptoms if they already exist. I don't like giving so many vaccines at one time either and I do believe that can have a neurological impact. We are doing Will on a delayed schedule too, and they weren't crazy about it but never said they weren't happy with me! That is crazy! He goes in for his 12 month and we only have him down for one shot. Bonnie Hill was a great resource for me when choosing this and looking for research to read up!

Anita said...

WOW!! i would be looking for another pediatritian...:(

David said...

I'm surprised you got so much grief about the Hep B in the hospital. We passed on it too (since I'm not planning on her being sexually active for at least 40 more years), but no one said anything about it (and didn't "accidentally" give it to Anna as far we know).

We did do the full panel at 2 months (actually about 2½ months) and Anna did better than I did initially, but I do think it may have been responsible for her sleeping poorly in the days following.

We love Dr. Pebble Sutherland, in case you are looking for a new pediatrician, but Jennifer also has a very long history with the Sutherland family. (Dr. David Sutherland was one of our Calculus profs at Hendrix and Jennifer babysat their kids for about 12 years.) If you already use Dr. Sutherland and she's the one who lectured you, well, don't tell me. I don't want to know. :-)

I agree it is hard to find good, independent information. So much of the anti-vaccine "information" is pure propaganda that can't stand up to scrutiny and fails to recognize the difference between correlation and causation. But at the same time, so much of the pro-vaccine "information" is commercial, knee-jerk, you-are-a-bad-parent-if-you-disagree propaganda. It seems like almost everyone either has a vested interest or is coming to the table with preconceived notions.

The Uptons said...

We use Dr. Sutherland also, and LOVE her. I felt like she asked all the right questions when we told her what we wanted to do, and supported our decision in the end. Exactly what I would want... we don't want a pediatrician to do just what we say, but instead to ask thoughtful questions to help us come up with the right plan for us...which is what I felt we got from her! I would recommend her (and everyone we have seen in that clinic.. which is about everyone) in a heartbeat!

made2mama said...

That stinks!I'm glad you stood your ground. I need to talk to you about the MMR. Brianna is up for that and I'm definitely hesitant about her getting it.

The Browns said...

I'm right with you on the Vaccines. I've been reading the book "The Vaccine Book" by Robert Sears, and I to have chosen the alternative schedule. It makes sense to spread them out so our babies are not getting the toxic overload at one time. My clinic was not ok with it but said it is my choice. She let me know that every time I came in they would talk to me about my decison. Stick to your grounds.